Since the firm’s inception John A. Martin & Associates
(JAMA) has placed a strong emphasis on the development of its staff and the cultivation of prospective employees. The Los Angeles office of JAMA provides paid summer internships to undergraduate and graduate level engineering students. JAMA’s internship program emphasizes:
- Introduction to all phases of a building’s construction from the engineers perspective from schematic design to design development to construction documents and administration
- Structural design across a wide variety of materials (timber, masonry, steel, and concrete)
- Application of structural theory to real-world design
- Use and interpretation of governing building codes such as CBC, ACI, AISC, NDS, ASCE7 and ASCE41
Eligibility / Instructions
- Practical use of cutting-edge software packages such as SAP2000, ETABS, SAFE, RISA, Enercalc, and Mathcad, among others
- Greater understanding of structural concepts such as load paths and load transfers
- Exposure to real-world projects and construction practices through on-site visits
- Understanding of project management processes such as RFIs and submittal packages for current projects
Prospective interns must be full-time students pursuing a bachelor or graduate degree in engineering and be eligible to work in the U.S. A minimum of three years of undergraduate experience and completion of basic design courses in steel and
concrete are preferred. Internships are typically three months in duration but are matched with the educational calendar of a student’s school or university. JAMA’s internships are paid, but compensation is commensurate with a student’s level of education and experience.
Statements of interest for internships can also be made by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
. Please include a resume with a description of relevant completed coursework, and a cover letter clearly describing reasons for wishing to intern with John A. Martin & Associates. Interviews may be conducted with prospective candidates, either in person or via phone.
Update 1/10/16: The deadline to submit your resume and cover letter is March 1, 2017. Resumes received after March 1, 2017 will be kept on file for backup consideration only. Thank you in advance for your interest in JAMA.